Tomorrow morning, I go out to the colo box and replace the existing one with my spiffy “new” Yellow Menace. I’ve tested the hell out of this one and it can handle all three domUs and the dom0 all doing dd’s from /dev/zero to the hard disk over and over again, which will be a nice change from the existing one freezing up throwing ext3 errors whenever I’m doing something disk intensive.
My plan is to pull out the old one, move the disks to the new one, boot it up, make sure I can log into the dom0 from home, and then go home to tinker with it. If things go as I expect, the services that live on here, like this blog, my mailing lists, my photo gallery, the Rochester Flying Club web site and others should only be off the air for an hour or so.
Then I’ll test the hell out of the old box when I get it home to see if I can reproduce the problem, and then see if I can fix the problem somehow, maybe with a new IDE cable. Then I’ll know how to advertise it on eBay – either as a working box, or a box with a suspect IDE controller but a probably fine SCSI controller.
Evidently it’s company policy that working at home must be requested 24 hours in advance, in writing. So if I find myself unable to come into work for some reason, they want me to stay home and do something else rather than doing useful work on our project. Well, I’ll miss the money, but I think they’re going to miss the work more.
When this morning’s alarm clock went off, the radio was saying that Vicki’s place of work was closed because of an overnight ice storm. I looked outside and there was a good half-inch of clear ice on the trees, roads, and my car. And the local news web sites said that the state police were telling people not to drive if they could avoid it.
So I thought about what I’d be doing if I went to work, and it was just working on design documents. I have most of the documents I needed at home, so I thought “screw it” and decided to stay home.
I wanted to email people to tell them that I was going to do that, and I only had a few of their addresses. So I emailed the ones I had, and one of them emailed my new official direct supervisor (even though I really get my job assignments and direct supervision from somebody else, but she signs my time sheets).
She wrote me back. She’s evidently mad that I didn’t follow her new procedure, and phoned her for permission *before* I decided to stay home. In the past, I’ve always been trusted to work at home if I had work that could be done at home, so this seems like a real lack of trust on her part. But then again she’s new to the project and doesn’t know any of us that well – plus she has little to no day-to-day contact with us developers, so maybe she doesn’t know us well enough to know who to trust.
So instead of having a nice day at home where I could work productively but in a relaxed environment, I had to struggle to produce work while worrying if I’d just jeopardized my job.
Just for the record, I got more work done than I would have if I’d been at work.