As I was reading my email this morning, I noticed that 3 or 4 trackback spams had gotten through SpamKarma2, all from an IP in the UAE. I went to the SpamKarma2 page and found that as well as the 3 or 4 that had gotten through, there were also a few hundred that hadn’t gotten through. I took care of that, and was reading the rest of my email when 3 more got through SpamKarma2. All still from this IP in the UAE. Ok, this calls for bigger guns than SK2. I went to the terminal window that was tailing my logs from the colo box, all ready to “iptables” this IP out of my hair, when suddenly my terminal window stopped responding. So did my other terminal window on the dom0 of the colo box. So did all my web sites. So did my mailing lists.
I went off to work wondering if this was just a DDOS and it would come back up when they got bored of me, or if the box was truly locked up and would need a power cycle. If it was locked, I was seriously considering throwing in the towel on colo, because obviously I can’t keep the sort of uptime I demand. Even Linode was better than this, and they were getting hit by DDOSes all the time. The only thing I didn’t like about the Linode was the piss-poor amount of memory I got – 128Mb versus the 1000Mb I have on my domU.
On my way to work, I got an email from Vicki saying my blog was back up, and at the next traffic light I was able to verify that some of my other web sites were still running. Looks like I weathered the storm.