Mailing lists moved.

I’m home helping Vicki recover from her surgery. It appears to have gone well, and she’s not needing me to do much to help her – I expected her to be lying in bed all weekend weakly quavering out “bring me a cup of water, please”, but instead she’s sitting in her usual chair tapping away on her iBook.

While I’m home, though, I took the opportunity to move all my Mailman mailing lists from my home server to my linode. It was incredibly simple, if a bit time consuming. For each list, I copied over the /var/lib/mailman/lists/listname directory and the /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file. Then I fixed the permissions with
chown -R list.list lists/listname archives/private/listname.mbox
and fixed the internal pointers and stuff using
withlist -l -r fix_url listname
Then I trimmed down the archives (I don’t have enough room on the linode for the whole thing) using
mbox-purge --before 2004-01-01 archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox
and rebuilt the archives using
su list -c "/var/lib/mailman/bin/arch listname /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox"
and regenerated the aliases with genaliases. Then I went back to my home machine and removed the mailing lists there and put all the mailing list addresses in /etc/postfix/relocated.

Easy as pie. And now I don’t have to worry that the mailing lists will be down while we’re moving.