No, this isn’t based on anything that’s happened to me recently.
How many hardware engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
- One to turn the lights on and off a few times to see if he can reproduce the problem. S/he then escalates it to the:
- One to swap it with another light bulb in the same room to see if it’s the fixutre. S/he then calls:
- One to bring in the hot-swap light bulb, only to find it’s the wrong type of bulb. That gets called back to the office, where:
- Another one orders the correct bulb via second day air. The other hardware engineers go home for two days, leaving you in the dark until eventually:
- Another one brings in the newly arrived bulb, but puts it in the fixture of an already working bulb and closes the call.
At this point, a progammer picks up the working bulb that’s sitting in the garbage and installs it. Problem solved.